[VHFcontesting] Spotting and the DX Cluster in VHF contesting...

Mike (KA5CVH) Urich mike at ka5cvh.com
Thu Apr 30 08:47:27 EDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 10:45 PM, Steve Stahl <ke7ihg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I used APRS in the winter contest for the first time and for a rover it's
> good because its automatic.

Mike wrote

I'm not sure that APRS would be much help in many parts of TX & LA,
areas I would be likely to roam.  I can ping away all day long but if
there are few
stations to pick me up ... kinda useless, just like using email or
twitter if you have no cell service.

Lets be honest in many parts of the country.  Rovers "NEED" to go to
those "less populated" areas to activate those "less populated by ham"
grids.  The likelyhood is that both cell service and APRS is not a
"dependable" option.

Be honest ... rare grids are RARE GRIDS because there are few hams and
even fewer who chase weak signals.

--
Mike Urich KA5CVH
http://ka5cvh.com

I want a government small enough to fit inside the constitution.