[VHFcontesting] IF Radio Advice - Adding On and Portable Ops.

Zack Widup w9sz.zack at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 16:58:53 EST 2015

Hi Jarred,

I know several people who use the FT-817 as an IF rig for 10 GHz
tripod-mounted portable operations. They seem to be happy with its
performance. I have been thinking of getting one myself one of these
days.

The FT290RII is somewhat deaf as a stand-lone rig (at least the one I
have is). But it makes a nice IF rig. I haven't actually used an
FT-817 yet.

My dedicated IF radio for microwave transverters is a modified
Realistic HTX-100. I removed the rear amp/heat sink module and
installed my own aluminum rear plate, which has several coax
connectors on it. I removed the speaker and mounted a 144 MHz
transverter in that space. It has separate transmit and receive
connectors. Output on 2m is about +3 dBm - adequate for most
transverters. It doesn't have bells and whistles but it works. Power
draw is low.

I can't use it use it on 144 MHz (at least for transmitting) but I
have other radios for that.

73, Zack W9SZ