[VHFcontesting] Yaesu FT100D problem on 6m

Dave Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Thu Feb 12 11:50:56 EST 2015

John,
    No one seems to have direct knowlege of what is actually wrong. I
suspect that you need to find the SWR sensing circuit and follow the rf path
to the output fitting. It must be a significant length on 50 MHz at least to
ruin the 50 ohm path. The way to find it is to inject a  signal with a SWR
bridge and sig gen right at the SWR circuit board and look towards the
output connector. You can see what the SWR is with a 50 ohm load in the
connector. Poke and prod to find what is making the SWR bad. An antenna
analyzer would work ala MFJ or Rig Expert. I have a homemade bridge that is
good to about 500 MHz along with a signal generator (with 1000 Hz tone) and
an HP 415E SWR indicator. It would work swell for this too. Otherwise, you
have to rely on your own lyin' eyes. I am thinking that a poor or missing
ground might allow a part of the circuit to lift and act as a tuning stub
and ruin the nice 50 ohm path. I wonder if there is any filtering after the
SWR circuit. It could be flakey. Without a schematic or seeing it, it would
be hard to guess.

Dave K1WHS