[VHFcontesting] GPS Receivers and grid squares

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Wed Feb 18 16:35:11 EST 2015

Dave,

Check out this web page http://www.n7cfo.com/vhf/gps/~gps.htm for a list
of GPS units that support Maidenhead grids.  This page was last updated
in June 2014 but many of the models listed are discontinued.  However,
thepage has some other useful links to follow on this subject including
a link to Garmin user manuals.

I have a Garmin GPS III that does Maidenhead grid squares quite nicely.
I can run off of internal AA batteries or a cigar lighter cable that
plugs into the back.  The GPS III is out of production, but I think
there was a subsequent GPS IV and maybe later models.

I worked with the people at Garmin a few years back looking at a GPS
project for my then employer (Chrysler) and I have high respect for
their technology.  I've seen other Garmin models with Maidenhead
displays, so I would take the advice from WA6ZTY's e-mail and check out
"garmin maidenhead" on Google.

Several people have suggested Maidenhead apps for their smart phones.
I've had good success with these on my iPhone.  The nice thing about my
Garmin GPS is that it can also simultaneously spit out lat/long data in
NMEA standard format to a COM port on my laptop to do rovering route
naviation while also providing a Maidenhead display to the radio operator.

I guess which is most useful depends on what exactly you're trying to do...

73, Dave/K8CC