[VHFcontesting] GPS Receivers and grid squares

Dave Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Thu Feb 19 14:12:55 EST 2015

Man I got a pile of answers on the GPS question. Unfortunately, I was looking to get a good modern (current) handheld for being in the woods. My camp up north is surrounded by pretty wild  country and I could really use a good handheld GPS. It is very easy to get lost there. The woods are so thick that a handheld compass has plenty of trouble since landmarks cannot be seen very well.  Also, being 70 years old, my eyesight is not so great and I need a good display. The older units don’t really look like they will cut the mustard, so I was hoping to find a newer unit with a better display. I do not have a smart phone, and one of my goals in life is to never ever have a smart phone.
    I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I can’t thank everybody with a personal message, but I want everyone to know that I appreciate all the input.  A great group of folks on this reflector for sure.
73
Dave K1WHS