[VHFcontesting] Scoring

Walt Murphy n2wm at centurylink.net
Sun Feb 22 18:00:44 EST 2015

Hello All

        I very seldom comment or reply to any VHF Contesting emails.

  However. I have been participating in VHF Contests since about 1970 and feel that Contesting is a personal
goal achievement. You try to do the best you can on what ever bands you can activate.

  In the Northeast yes the QSO's are plentiful, but down from years ago. I think the best rules and scoring are the
simplest.

  I do not think any rule or scoring changes will achieve the "Level Playing Field" ideas.

  Distance scoring OK. In the Northeast I make 100-100 mile QSO's someone in the Southwest makes 25 500 mile QSO's

  I do not think punishing stations in high Ham population areas and rewarding stations in low population areas will serve
VHF and contesting well.

  The purpose of the VHF Contests was to promote activity and generate interest in the propagation and techniques needed to
be effective stations on these bands not to make everyone equal.

  OK Regional scores etc may spur competition but I still think the personal and or group achievement in operating these contests
is more important than finding away so that the scores can be equalized.

                         My 2 cents