[VHFcontesting] Question to the group

Zack Widup w9sz.zack at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 23:15:21 EST 2015

I thrive on microwave QSO's, both in and out of contests. In this area
we have "microwave activity days" on the first Saturday of the month.
I have also been known to take trips to a hilltop on an early morning
to try to work someone on microwave bands if the Hepburn forecast
looks promising..

I always figured that if a station had those bands, they would enter
the class that included them and the people who didn't have those
bands would enter the limited classes. Maybe I'm wrong.

I have maybe half a dozen stations I can work on 2304 and two or three
on the higher bands. One is a Rover in the Chicago area; one is a
fixed station about 100 miles from me and another is a fixed station
about 120 miles from me. I can usually count on at least two of those
being active in a contest. I always take those bands with me when I
operate portable from a hilltop.

I built all my transverters and antennas. The transverters didn't come
out so expensive except maybe for 24 GHz. I think the rest cost at
most $150 apiece (plus a lot of time) for the 2 to 10 watt range. But
I'm a pretty good scrounger.

73, Zack W9SZ