[VHFcontesting] VHF+ Contesting Rule Changes

Ward Silver hwardsil at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 13:24:38 EST 2015

I am not sure I would want to see the actual diagram...something about
sausage being made :-)

The current rules have grown incrementally over the years with the
technology changing far faster than the verbiage.  This is hardly unique
to the ARRL but the drawn out, multi-threaded process for rule changes
pretty much guarantees the rules will be well behind the needs of the
community.  It's not a good idea to have the rules changing at every
shift in the wind either.  A re-balancing of the process is sorely
needed and has been for a long time.

Definitions are quite important and there are few except those sprinkled
about here and there.  Perhaps with the Centennial behind us, that would
be a good project - to collect, reorganize, and re-state the rules of
the world's largest radiosport program in a more understandable format.
There's no reason for three overlapping sets of rules for any contest -
it's an artifact of the paper era during which the League's processes
were designed.

 > it seems to me that implementing these rules now will cause confusion
with what the Ad-Hoc committee is doing, recommending, or has done.

Perhaps, but as I observed in the first post, anything the ad-hoc
committee comes up with is at least a year away from implementation,
probably longer.  With a more engaged Contest Branch Manager and no
competing year-long special events, there will be a higher
signal-to-noise ratio for the process, I'm sure.

73, Ward N0AX