[VHFcontesting] Let's make the contests do what they were supposed to do

Mike (KA5CVH) Urich mike at ka5cvh.com
Sat Jan 3 14:56:20 EST 2015

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 12:29 PM, Bill Olson <callbill at hotmail.com> wrote:

> i.e.: Get people on the air.,,,,

Not to play the "old guy" card, but I will anyway (Hi Wayne!!) In the
50's 60's when I started contesting there were only 2 categories,
single op, multiop. The participation was at an all time high then.
now, what's the deal?? everyone gets a trophy??? OR.. no one wants to
get on the air unless they are guaranteed to win??>

Mike laughes

As the old SBC deacon told his pastor ... "now that'll preach brother".

Sure everyone likes to be a winner, who doesn't.  But I also know I
can not compete with stations like K5QE on any level.  A few years ago
Marshall invited me to come up for the summer BBQ and he is a
wonderful individual with a big heart, and yet loves to win.  And yet
while he is by far one of the big guns, at the same time wouldn't mind
being lumped into the same category as him.  If anything it gives
those of us at the other end of the station spectrum a target to
compare ourselves against and try to close the gap even if its only
comparing scores by percentages.  I.E. last year I got 5.7% of what he
earned ... this year I got 6.4%

I have only played around with V/UHF contesting in the past and
recently got a bit of a bug to get back into it again.  I am now
limited in expendable funds for station improvements so I must spend
that wisely.  I just want to be able to get on the air and make "Q's".
I really don't need a piece or paper or plaque on the wall although I
do have a bit of a bug to chip away at the FFMA.

--
Mike Urich KA5CVH
http://ka5cvh.com

People will complain about the greed of "big business", well what
about the greed of "big government"?