[VHFcontesting] Interstation Interference Question

Steve Kavanagh sjkavanagh1 at yahoo.ca
Wed Jul 29 22:18:29 EDT 2015

On Wed, 7/29/15, Ron Rogers <ww8rr at charter.net> wrote:

  >Preamp being used on the 2M station ? Assume so if you are running EME.

Amazingly enough, no external preamp, just the transverter with the noise figure degraded by the DCI filter and almost a dB of coax.  That was intentional to avoid blowing the preamp up with 6m power. EME was not our chief intent....but it worked!

> Is this the first time this particular 6M amp has been used in a contest config ?

Yes, in a multi-op where simultaneous operation was desired.  We've run a different (100W) 6m station with the same 2m setup at the same site with much less problems (not surprisingly!).

> You mention running it from a switching power supply. What is the power level of the amp?

We had it at about 300 W.

Others mentioned the antenna spacing.  We'd have put them up further apart if I could.  The site was nearly 100% treed and it was necessary to use whatever clearings were available.

73,
Steve VE3SMA