[VHFcontesting] transcontinental roving - LV & LA

Pete K0BAK via VHFcontesting vhfcontesting at contesting.com
Wed Jun 3 15:26:01 EDT 2015

Especially for Las Vegas & Los Angeles area VHFers:

I have to fly out to Las Vegas for business on the Sunday of the September VHF contest. While I'm disappointed I won't be able to fully participate in the contest with my (Limited) rover, having an expense-paid week in Las Vegas is good compensation. :-)

Was considering operating the rover in my home Philly area on Saturday, and then take a (very limited) station with me to operate out West for a few hours Sunday. I posted on a general interest ham reflector for Las Vegas, and the initial response was that there wasn't much weak signal or VHF contest activity in Las Vegas ... though like I said it was a general interest reflector. So, now I'm asking on this reflector, does anyone here know if there's likely to be a decent amount of participation in Las Vegas on Sunday of the September contest?

If the prospects aren't good in Las Vegas, an even crazier plan would be to drive (4 hours?) to some accessible mountain overlooking Los Angeles, where my impression is that there's lots of activity in a VHF contest. Is that true? And if true, can anyone suggest a good location that's open to the public and accessible by a rental sedan?

I'm asking now because I should book the flights soon, and these answers might affect that. For instance, maybe land in Los Angeles, operate, and drive to Las Vegas.

I realize it's an awful lot of effort for at best just a few contacts, but I'm attracted to the idea of operating in the same contest from both sides of the country. (Kind of like I once swam in the Atlantic and the Pacific on the same day, just to do it.)

Thanks in advance,
Pete K0BAK