[VHFcontesting] Assistance in the VHF Contest

George Fremin III geoiii at kkn.net
Mon Jun 8 12:37:28 EDT 2015

On Sun, Jun 07, 2015 at 04:39:56PM -0600, James Duffey wrote:

> 0. Does anyone this list run a skimmer that feeds into the RBN? Can or will you operate it on 6M during the contest?
>
> 1. Will there be any, well more than a few, RBN (skimmer) stations serving 6M spots during the contest?
>
> 2. Will these skimmers capture not only the default CW band from 50.080 to 50.100, but also the lower part of the SSB band? I know that the skimmers can’t decode and spot SSB, but if they can monitor the SSB band, a quick CW CQ from an SSB OP before calling CQ on voice would get one spotted, right? And if you did it every 10 minutes or so, that would keep you spotted, right?

Most of the skimmers I have seen only cover the CW part of the band.
That is good for beacons and such but as we all know the DX window
gets alot of CW activity working DX and I use CW all over the band -
even during good openings as it is often a good way to snag some weak
double hop.

So I have been thinking that it would be good to lobboy these skimmers to look
at more of the band.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii at kkn.net