[VHFcontesting] Six meter power amps and icom 706 mkiiG's

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Thu Jun 18 17:14:31 EDT 2015

Hi:

Both of my six meter SSB radios are 706 MkiiG's  (one is an early unit, one is a new unit with the newer style finals.)

I'm contemplating ways I can run 300 watts or more on six meters (500 watts or more is my preference, less than 300 is probably not worth the effort in my view vs the stock 100 watts.)

The main use will be roving / portable use.

I'm aware of the reputation these radio have for power spikes on transmit that cause issues with amps.   Has any one successfully driven a six meter amp from an icom 706 ?  If so could you share the details with me.

My preference is for solid state amps and I'm fine providing higher supply voltages if needed (ie 24 or 48 volts) but commercially made tube  amps are not entirely out of the question either.

Working with surplus solid state TV amps is also within my skill and comfort level but my preference is for a commercially manufactured unit.  Building or modifying a tube amp is outside of my comfort zone.

I'm also contemplating upgrading to a better radio for 6m and am not sure I want to sink money into an amp tailored to working with a one hundred watt exciter if I later switch to a transverter or maybe simply find the cash for something along the lines of a K3 with the 500 watt amp.  (I'm not sure though I'd want to take the latter combination with me on some of my roving / portable operations.  I am mentally prepared to write  off one of the 706's if need be, conversely I don't always take my ft 736 with me for 222 and 1296 as I feel I am rolling with the dice with damage from shock and vibration each time I drive over bumpy forest roads, I'd be even less happy taking a K3 with me on such a trip, nor am I sure a tube amp would do well.)

Any comments are welcome.

73
Mark S VE7AFZ

Sent from my iPhone