[VHFcontesting] Running a big enough station for portable operations....

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Sat Jun 20 00:35:48 EDT 2015

I have to wholeheartedly agree with what Marshall wrote.

When I first got on 6M during the summer of 1989, I yanked one of my 10M
yagis off the tower and stuck a 6M PV-4 (4L on a 12' boom) in its place
and operated thru the summer with a Yaesu FT-726R at 10W.  Now this was
not at all a bad setup (the yagi was at 90' AGL) but it was very
frustrating.  I could hear more than I could work, the problem being
that I often had to wait in line to get thru and the band would often
fold before the pile thinned out enough for me to be heard.  At the end
of the summer, the 6M beam came down and the 10M beam was reinstalled
for the fall HF contest season.

The following summer, I picked up a used HyGain 66BS yagi (6L on a 24'
boom) and threw together a little 100W amplifier using a spare set of
6JB6 sweep tubes (e.g. Drake Line finals) and the AC-4 power supply from
my C-Line.  Wow!  What a difference!  10 dB more power and probably 3 dB
more gain in the yagi meant that I waited in line less often and more
often got the QSO before the band dropped out.

The third summer, the 6L HyGain went back onto the tower, and I picked
up a used SB-220 which I converted to 50 MHz.  With the same old FT-726R
driving the 6JB6 amp to 100W, the converted SB-220 put out 1000W.  Now,
not only did I get thru the pileups early, but I could also call CQ and
attract DX.  Life was good...

I tell this story to show that incremental improvements truly *DO* make
a significant difference.  Every dB counts, particularly when dealing
with a band like 6M where the propagation can drop out without warning
and leave you without making the QSO.  As I found in 1989, you *CAN*
work good stuff with QRP on 6M if you're willing to wait for the right
conditions and competition.  But, how long are *YOU* willing to wait?

73, Dave/K8CC