[VHFcontesting] New to VHF/UHF Contesting: Next Steps

Dan Evans dan.evans at insightbb.com
Fri Apr 1 13:24:07 EDT 2016

It all depends on your goals for contesting.

Personally, I agree with Mike, Duffey, and the rest.  At this point your
best investment would be to pick up an all mode rig and reposition those
yagis.  This change alone would likely quadruple the amount of contacts you
will work, with a huge bump in score.

There's nothing wrong with FM only contesting.  I generally pick up a dozen
or so contacts every contest on FM.  But, even if you disregard the extended
range of SSB and CW, there are still very few FM stations active during
contests.  So your return on investment is always going to be limited.  I
think if you want to stick to FM only, your best bet would be more bands.
For the June contest, 6 meters is a NECESITY.  It's often difficult to find
contacts on the higher bands in June due to everyone working sporadic E on
6.  Being within range of large population centers would make bands like 900
Mhz and 1200, helpful as well.  After adding more bands, then I would look
at maximizing the size of the yagis.   Bigger is better, but in a Rover /
portable setup like yours, you will have to determine how much you can
safely handle.  Adding amps would be a good next step, but it also adds a
lot of complexity, most notably a huge increase in the power that must be
supplied.  Batteries / generator / and such.

Best of luck, and whatever you choose, have fun!!

73
Dan

--
K9ZF
Secretary, Clark County Amateur Radio Club,