[VHFcontesting] New to VHF/UHF Contesting: Next Steps

nosigma at aol.com nosigma at aol.com
Sat Apr 2 13:22:29 EDT 2016

James,

Thank you.  Your comments and suggestions help A LOT.   Not arover, just a portable station competing in FM only.  Rover category is way to competitive acrossto many bands & modes .  X2 on establishingcontacts pre contest and studying log sheets.  I have started a pin map of FM conteststations based on posted logs to survey for ideal operating sites that will putme in the middle of traffic.  Northern& West Central VA (where the altitude is at) is a bit too far south to beideal, east central or north east PA appears to be better for getting closer tothe action.  There are several UHF/VHFgroups in the DC area.  I hope to link upwith them in a couple weeks at the VHF/UHF super conference and start networkingfor June.  Weak or no cell connection atthe three sites I surveyed though an external antenna would make a world ofdifference and make it possible to monitor rover locations and do real timespotting, great suggestion.   X2 on notbuying a bunch of new gear, just looking for gaping holes (like 6M FM) in myset up.  Adding 6M FM/SSB would let mesnag & drag (snag on SSB, drag them "down" to FM) stations, sinceboth you and Bob beat that drum pretty hard it goes high on the list.  Going H pol seems so wrong for FM since thereare thousands of V pol FM rigs out there (20-30dB hit for cross pol), but as Ilearned in January darn few FM V pol are contesting.  Setting my antenna's at 45 degrees and takingthe 3dB hit on V & H sounds better all the time, what I loose in marginal FMV pol contacts I may more than make for by snagging and dragging H pol SSBoperators over to FM.  100 QSO's but only60 points:  I talked to around 100stations (QSO) but only a small fraction (13) were willing to submit logs and Ihad to give instructions to about half of them on how to do that during the QSOwith follow up email.  I also found thatI had to dig out maps and pass grid square info to them along with UTCtime.  I was not preparred to do that soit was a real mess getting location info, finding it on a road map and thencrossing it over to my 8-1/2x11 grid square map.  I did not bring a computer which would havemade that a lot easier.   Conservingbattery power and minimizing fuel used for recharging was high on the survivallist.  Gasoline is life in single digittemps when  you're out there alone for 3days in a location that very few can reach. Next time I will bring a lot more fuel, a laptop and an inverter.

Question:  Sounds a bit like you are suggesting that Ican get contest points even if the contact doesn't submit a log.  QSO's don't count unless both parties submita log with matching QSO info correct?  Ifthat's not correct then I really shot myself in the foot.

73, John, KM4KMU