[VHFcontesting] Contesting: Next Steps

nosigma at aol.com nosigma at aol.com
Sat Apr 2 13:43:51 EDT 2016

Bill,

Please be critical of myantenna's or anything else.  I wont learn without constructive criticism, see question.  I agree thatbetter antenna's are out there (M2's) and perhaps home brew.  I have no fear of fabricating.  I will get a copy of Kents book.  Thank you for the recommendation.  With all the comments on using H pol and Vpol together, changin over (some day) to Quagi and loop Yagi's immediately come to mind.  I never considered promotion to quite thelevel you suggest.  I was thinking ofgoing up to my desired location the weekend before the contest and hittingevery repeater I could find and ask for folks to QSO during the contest.  Contacting clubs and email reflectors arethings I had not considered and will do for June.  You are correct, there are A LOT of FM folksout there, hence my 100 non contest QSO's.   I will tried to infectthem and will continue doing so.  I consider June and September"throw aways" since anyone can drive to high altitude then but if Ican get the infection started it should pay off big in January when its reallytough to get that same altitude, playing to my "Unfair Advantage" inaccessing terrain.

Question:  What do you see in my antenna set up that youthink I should focus on improving?   Antenna type, polarization (dual?) gain, side Lobes, F/B ratio.  Foroff the shelf, the Cushcrafts I run are not BAD but certainly not the best (M2,Directive).  Being isolated on a mountaintop  I dont think I had a noise problem but gain is always welcome.  Max boom length I can handle is 15 feet.

73, John, KM4KMU