[VHFcontesting] [VHF] Comments sought for new ARRL UHF Contest in May

Alan Larson wa6azp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 21:41:44 EDT 2016

  Mike asked, as I have asked about other contests, what formula is
specified by the rules for this calculation?

  Further questions could include:

    1.  For each of these "modern contest logging programs", what formula
does each of them
         use?
    2.  Is it the same formula in each case?
    3.  What if I want to use my own program?  (Not being a computer
"appliance operator", I
         actually write my own software.)

  Unless the formula is specified in the rules, all bets are off.  This is
why I refuse to participate in
"distance scoring" contests - the rules never are complete to specify such
things.

  As for putting the contest in May, that seems silly.  Sure it might be
warm in August, but one could
reply that every modern vehicle has air conditioning.

  As a counter suggestion, perhaps it should be scheduled in December, to
maximize the bad weather
possibility in the northeast, giving the rest of us better chances.

        Alan