[VHFcontesting] Re: Comments sought for new ARRL UHF Contest in May

James Duffey jamesduffey at comcast.net
Thu Apr 14 22:31:17 EDT 2016

Alan - You asked three questions:

>    1.  For each of these "modern contest logging programs", what formula
> does each of them
>         use?
>    2.  Is it the same formula in each case?
>    3.  What if I want to use my own program?  (Not being a computer
> “appliance operator", I actually write my own software.)

I hope that someone from the committee answers your questions, but until they do, here are my comments.

First of all, I would assume that all of the logs will be scored at contest headquarters as is done in the other ARRL contests. So, the score you or your logging program calculates, just as it is now, is ignored by the machine (robot?) and the same methodology is used to calculate everyone’s scores. The algorithms used to calculate your current score are widely available, so I would expect the algorithm for calculating the new contest’s score would also be made known, including the distance calculation.
VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting at contesting.com>
1. I think that most of the authors of logging programs will tell you what algorithm they use to calculate distance. I know that Tom Mayo, N1MU, has discussed the method he uses to calculate on the RoverLog. Maybe the authors can post their algorithms here, but in any case, the ARRL should do these calculations when they score the logs, so that everyones score is calculated with the same method.

2. If one’s score is computed by the contest machine, it doesn’t matter if the logging programs all use the same formula or not. But in practice, as long as a curved earth is taken into account, the varying formulas and use of the different datums will have a small effect on the distance calculated.

3. My comments on 2 apply to this question apply as well.

I personally don’t think it is a big deal. If the ARRL scores all the logs, then no one will be at an advantage for using differing algorithms. - Duffey KK6MC