[VHFcontesting] Calculating distances from grid squares

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Fri Apr 15 01:42:25 EDT 2016

The note from KK6MC is a good overview about how distances between two
grid squares can be calculated.  Once the distance is calculated, all
that is needed is a little more math to apply the ARRL's proposed
scoring rules to calculate the QSO point value.

People should not worry about how accurate their calculation is, or
whether they make the calculation at all.  I am a volunteer log checker
for the ARRL (ARRL 10M Contest) and all logs are fully scored by the
logcheckers and there are no penalties if the claimed score in the log
doesn't agree.

Of course, most people like to see their claimed score before they send
in the log (to know approximately where they finished in regards to
other stations and existing records).  My point here is that if your
claimed score is off by a few percent due to differences in the distance
algorithm you use vs. what the ARRL will use, there will be no negative
impact.

73, Dave, K8CC