[VHFcontesting] HSMM for microwave contesting?

Patrick Thomas p-thomas at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 28 13:25:23 EDT 2016

For us poor people who can't afford lots of transverters (and aren't quite smart enough to tear down satellite gear from Ebay), I have been thinking of repurposing a wireless access point for raw https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_multimedia_radio for 13cm and maybe even 5cm if I can find the gear to do it.

Has anyone found any success with this in the past?  And what might a QSO consist of?  Leave DHCP on and ping the other station with a packet sniffer turned on?  Some kind of firmware-based application for the router if one doesn't already exist?

Opportunities abound. :)

But if time is money, maybe the transverters would be a better way to go. :)

Just curious if anyone has considered this.  The web was not very useful for discovering prior work.

 - Patrick / KB8DGC