[VHFcontesting] Meteor Scatter-Benefit to changing angle of antenna?

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Sun Aug 7 06:13:45 EDT 2016

I’m hoping that someone with more experience with meteor scatter communications can answer a question that has been bugging me. Is there any benefit to angling a Yagi upwards from a horizontal mounting position, say 10-15 degrees for MS contacts? I’ve heard some old timers swear that it seems to result in a longer “ping” or reflection period. Others say it makes little or no difference.

Geometry wasn’t my best subject. :-)

Can anyone speak to this with authority and/or anecdotal evidence? Thanks for your expertise in advance.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.