[VHFcontesting] [VHF] Yaesu FT991 upgrade

Peter Laws plaws0 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 11:10:57 EDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 12:54 AM, David Carlson <fossil54 at att.net> wrote:
> Or you could get an older rig like an IC-746, put a panoramic adapter tap board from G4HUP in it (easy, solder 3 wires), buy an RTL SDR dongle (< $20), download HDSDR software (free), download Omni Rig control software (free) and have a complete second receiver with spectrum and waterfall display on a full-sized screen, independent tuning or with rig control. It won't have 432, but it will be +3db versus the 991 on 2m TX.

Well, isn't that fun?

http://g4hup.com/PAT.htm

Looks like I could do the same on my recently-acquired IC-910H as well
as my IC-746Pro ...

Hmmm.  I even already have the RTL-SDR dongle already.  If you don't
have one of these, use some of your Discover Card cash back and buy
one off Amazon.  Fun toy even if you don't end up building it into a
panadaptor.