[VHFcontesting] A handful of questions

Sean Waite waisean at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 11:08:30 EDT 2016

Jarred,

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 7:22 AM Jarred Jackson <Jarred.Jackson at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Sean,
>

> I can provide input on some of your questions. No experience with 100W
> attenuators, but I have an IC-7000 and it has band selectable power output.
> This means you can run 100W on 6m and 5W on 2m and never have to touch it
> after setup. For a little over a year I ran the IC-7000 from 50 - 1296 MHz
> with an Elecraft transverter on 222, DEMI 902/3, and the SG-Lab 1296
> transverter. I setup the 2m amplifier with the same power input as the
> transverters needed. If there was any power spiking, it was not detectable
> with a simple power/swr meter. As I added additional microwave bands, I
> have moved all transverters to an 817.

We weren't aware of the selectable power on the IC-7000. That's very
convenient, particularly since we can use the 10m band as IF on 222. The
IC-746 can't do that as far as I can tell, it's got a knob.

I'm not particularly concerned about the SG-Lab 1296 power output for
roving, 2 or 5 watts isn't huge and I'll have a beam making up most of
that. More of a concern is if I'd be losing too much if I put it into a
100W amp and not having as much input power to drive it.

> In terms of power on 1296, I ran the SG-Labs transverter barefoot for over
> a year and did well with it. Not sure how this happened, but I was the
> rover grid leader for 1296 this past January using this setup. 8 grids on
> 1296 when visiting 4.   In June I added a 10W amplifier and worked 7 grids
> having visited 6. I assure you that assistance, advanced coordination and
> timing were more important to me than power. If you compare rover 1296 QSO
> leaders to Grid leaders (see ARRL full results) in the January contest you
> will quickly recognize that a majority of the contacts  from the top
> rovers are coming from inside of the grids visited (a majority with club
> members and cooperative rovers). The SG-Labs transverter and a 6 foot
> antenna will do great under these circumstances. Good $/QSO value overall.

I was looking at the SG-Labs transverter and a 6' Directive Systems loop
yagi, so this is good to hear.

> In terms of locations, publishing detailed schedules in advance and asking
> for detailed schedules from others seems to be the best way of avoiding too
> much trouble. You can sometimes predict the schedule of the experienced
> rovers in the area looking in the VHF contesting archives and getting in
> touch with those likely to use the site weeks before the contest. However a
> rover schedule is just a swag and you need to be prepared for someone to be
> on location when they are not expected to be (it will happen to you too).
> Interference is nearly certain. If the other rover has 2-ops calling CQ
> regularly on 2 bands, this will cause frustration. You can coordinate with
> a more casual single op much easier. Its also interesting to chat and take
> a look at another rover setup in person.

This is what I was concerned about, we're going to have 2 ops calling on 2
and 6 a whole lot, so we'd be clobbering others and they'd be clobbering
us. I intend on asking the local VHF group (NEWS) for tips on locations so
hopefully we'll be able to avoid interference.

> I have done well with 4-6 grids. I cannot operate much in motion (FM only)
> and it takes 10-20 minutes each for setup and teardown at east site. I
> suggest adding 45-60 minutes of extra time for the first couple of sites
> for "uncertainty" and troubleshooting when making your plans. Dont forget
> to add time to get gas, grab a bite to eat and use the facilities. I have
> yet to stick to a schedule very well, so this is still a work in progress
> for me.

4-6 seems reasonable, and is about what I was aiming for. There aren't
great grid junctions out here, so I probably won't be able to do a
multi-grid location, but we've got some mountains with parking lots on them.

> Good Luck
>

> Jarred - KF2MR

Thanks!
Sean