[VHFcontesting] FN55 rebuilding

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Mon Jul 18 19:24:21 EDT 2016

So there is no cure. I stayed away from VHF for 10 years but I could
never get it out of my mind. I felt depressed every time there was a
VHF contest or band opening and I wasn't there!

I very much enjoyed working the June VHF and CQ VHF contests on 2
meters with a very marginal setup. I was more than a little
surprised by what I can work with practically nothing from a
marginal location.

Things to come:

By September I should have 5 to 6 dB more antenna gain on 2 meters.
I am still wavering a little, but almost certain I am going to be
converting my 6 meter amplifier back to its original band, 2 meters.
This will give me legal limit on 2 but reduce 6 to 100 watts for the
foreseeable future.

By September I will probably have a marginal presence on 222, with
improvements to come in the future. I just finished bench checking a
222 transverter which is 100% ready to go. I need to build an
antenna and some reasonably non-aggravating IF switching scheme.

I have a 1296 transverter in hand but it is going to take some
effort to get going on that band. It almost certainly won't happen
until 2017.

I am very grateful to those who recently came to my aid in acquiring
equipment and working the bugs (BUGs?) out of drilling round booms.
I am on my way back...

73,
Paul N1BUG FN55mf