[VHFcontesting] Trees, et al

Crownhaven crownhaven at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 22 12:30:00 EDT 2016

Yes, trees make a difference.  Especially at higher freqs.  I have pine
trees on a couple of sides of my QTH that are over 100'. Getting through
them on 902 is tough, nearly impossible on 1.2 and 2.3.  I'm sure they
will affect the rest of the bands too although it might not be as
severe.  Regarding a tower, you got good advice regarding Rohn 45 vs.
25.  Sturdier and MUCH easier to climb I am told.  :)))  Cellular
engineers typically adjust power and coverage from winter to summer as
leaves come and go so this validates the issue with trees soaking up
RF.  I understand pine trees are especially bad for some reason.

Steve, N4JQQ, EM55bd