[VHFcontesting] Height vs. foliage

K7XC Tim Marek k7xcnv1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 15:25:51 EDT 2016

Six Meters Propagation is NOT directly tied to sunspots except for long
haul DX using F2... Often requiring the flux to reach 175/200 or better!
Not a common occurrence.

However...

I have worked Most of my contacts on 6M using propagation modes OTHER THAN
F2! The idea we need sunspots to open the Summer Es season is not an
accurate one.

6m will be providing many contacts to come for the next 5 to 6 years...
Sporadic E (Es) will be here along with Meteors, Scatter, EME, and other
modes...

To base your participation on 6M as related to ONLY Sun Spots and Flux
Levels is missing the point entirely!

In the bottom of the last cycle when several years had very low Solar Flux
levels, the overall density of the Es paths kept growing stronger and
stronger. During that long solar minimum, 6M Es was so good that during the
peak of Es season I worked Europe, South America, Central America, Asia,
and the pacific with great success from Northern Nevada for 3 years in a
row using only 100W to a home brew 6ele yagi at 30 Feet.

Don't believe the naysayers.... Anytime is a good time to become HUGE on
6M.

73s de Tim - K7XC - DM09jh... sk