[VHFcontesting] Alternator/VR question for rovers or auto guys

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Sun Jun 5 15:37:39 EDT 2016

Hi.   My experiences trying to directly charge (via DC) extra batteries from automotive electrical systems during my amateur radio activities have not been very favourable over the last 10 years or so.

My current approach is to run a 120 VAC power inverter from the vehicle electrical system (with the engine running) and in turn run a battery charger from the inverter.

I typically turn the engine, inverter and charger off during weak signal work due to RFI.

I also like having the vehicle electrical system more or less isolated from batteries that run the radios.   My thumb rule is to only run the inverter / charger combination when the engine is running.   I once had to jump start my truck in an out of the way location from one of the radio batteries and as a result I'm very hesitant to pull any power from the truck battery when parked with the engine off.

Your experiences may vary from mine.

73
Mark S
VE7AFZ