[VHFcontesting] It was on the wall

Herb Krumich wa2fgk at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 12:28:10 EST 2016

The writing was on the wall pertaining to the ARRL UHF contest.
Between seven and five years ago, activity was dropping like a rock.I actively ran this contest, but every year I started asking myself why.You start calling CQ with big antennas and a KW on 432, and by the end of hour one,there are five contacts in the log.What was really frustrating was knowing how many fellow club members, had shacks filled with equipment, and never turned it on.Major VHF clubs had no interest from most members.When I had some health issues a few years ago, the UHF activity was a major reason for calling it quits. I would never have stopped VHF-UHF contesting, if I saw a solid future.Life moves on, but I feel the ARRL made the proper call.Those complaining about the cancellation, can only blame fellow UHF'ers. Not the ARRLThis might give CQ magazine an opportunity to sponsor a contest. At least you would get your call in print. But I believe, that's not worth the effort either. They have enough trouble with their 2 and 6 meter contest, especially if 6 meters is dead. Perhaps they can expand the bands used.
Good luck to everyoneHerb K2LNS