[VHFcontesting] Newbie on 6

Tom Carney wa4qvq at gmail.com
Thu May 5 12:58:56 EDT 2016

Hi Dwight

Welcome to the world of 6M.

I recommend 50.276 as a frequency for 6M JT65/JT9.  It's the only freq you
are likely to make a random digital mode QSO on 6M.  The rest almost always
require coordination of some kind.

Unfortunately JT65A was never intended for E skip or other types of
propagation one encounters on 6M.  A much shorter cycle time is needed as
signal can appear and the disappear before the QSO can be completed.  There
is an experimental version of WSJT (WSJT-X) that supports much shorter
cycle times.  ISCAT-B or JT9-H seem better choices for 6M digital modes.
However, for now, they are in limited use.

There is considerable digital activity during contest.  You will definitely
want to check out Ping Jockey to coordinate setting up QSOs.   Also, since
you are in N Cal, you should check out the N6SJV.ORG chat room to
coordinate activity.   Still, I'd definitely plan on using SSB during the
June contest also.

73 and good luck on 6.

Tom K6EU aka K6EU/r

Virus-free.
<#m_-4987921246706727274_m_896213961858555723_DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>