[VHFcontesting] CushCraft 729B Matching

jimk8mr at aol.com jimk8mr at aol.com
Thu May 5 15:06:22 EDT 2016

Not exactly a contesting question, but I've encountered a problem with my CushCraft 729B 432 yogi. (And until I figure it out, I won't make many contest QSOs on 432  :-)   )

I noticed a higher than expected SWR - 2.5 or so - and figured it was probably a hardline connector problem. Went up the tower, no issues with the connector. Same VSWR looking into the antenna. I brought it down to ground level, working off a wooden deck at 10 feet. No adjustment of the matching network gets a good SWR at 432 MHz. I can get a good match around the 420 and 448 MHz range, but not at 432.

The matching network black box (a rigid coax phasing line) is clean & dry inside.

Any thoughts or experience with this issue? Any good replacement driven element assemblies that I might substitute?

73  -  Jim  K8MR