[VHFcontesting] Setting up new station

Zack Widup w9sz.zack at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 21:14:09 EDT 2016

There is about a 20 dB difference between horizontal and vertical
polarizations with one station using the opposite of the other. I generally
don't run FM in the VHF contests because I usually operate from hills that
are far away from populated areas, and I usually enter QRP. CW and SSB get
a lot farther on 10 watts or less. I use horizontally polarized antennas on
all bands.

I can typically work 200-250 miles with 10 watts under average conditions
on 144 MHz and up, but I do have the height advantage of the hill.

I might take along a beam to use with vertical polarization some time to
see who I can work on FM.

73, Zack W9SZ