[VHFcontesting] Ionosphere Scatter

Sean Waite waisean at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 10:02:35 EDT 2016

Hi everybody,

I see that WSJT has an "ISCAT" mode for ionosphere scatter. I can't find
much about how to operate in this mode, or even much about ionosphere
scatter in general.

I gather that it's a daytime mode, best at noon and loves it when the K
index is high. I also see things about how the military used to do it with
40kW transmitters through 20dB gain antennas. I'm a few dB short of that on
most bands.

OZ1RH has an article on qsl.net (qsl.net/qz1rh/ionoscatter_lecture_2002.htm)
where he has a little info on it, but not much about what mode he was using
and given the age I doubt he's using any of the JT modes. He suggests 1kW
with a 12dBd antenna may be possible on 6m, but I'm hoping with the ISCAT
mode a lesser station could do it, and maybe even 2m.

I can't find much about whether the antenna requires elevation.

 He does suggest that it has a sweet spot of around 1000-1800km, which I
think puts it beyond the reach of meteor scatter. Is this a mode that is
ever used in the contests? Does anyone have any additional information
about it?

Thanks and 73,
Sean Waite, WA1TE