[VHFcontesting] Ionosphere Scatter

Keith Morehouse w9rm at calmesapartners.com
Mon Oct 24 11:34:48 EDT 2016

On 6M, pretty much any two stations with decent power and at least 5-6
elements at a good height can work out beyond 1000 miles frequently.  I
think having a good low angle signal is a key to success on ionoscatter.
I've worked many people using this mode.  Signals are not strong so CW or
digital modes like ISCAT are helpful.  But, I've worked plenty of SSB
ionoscatter, too.

On 2M, I've found it's quite a bit more difficult.  Whether it's a lack of
truly well equipped stations on 144 MHz  or whether the ionoscatter mode
does not propagate well at higher frequencies, I don't know.  I have read
papers that speculate 144 MHz is a bit high in frequency for ionoscatter.
I never heard much that could have been 2M ionoscatter, even when operating
from a large multi-multi station with very large antennas, very high up.

It's a useful mode when there is no other available - which is most of the
time on 6M.  Give it a try, but be realistic about the capabilities of the
other station you're trying with and, YOUR station.  If you're running 100W
and a 3 el at 25' and nobody hears you, it's probably not a failure of the
ionoscatter mode of propagation.

Jay W9RM
DM58 CO

Keith J Morehouse