[VHFcontesting] iOS Logging Apps for Rover

Michael Davis michael at bassettconsulting.com
Fri Sep 2 06:32:06 EDT 2016

	Hello Mark, John and other friends,

	No need to dig up the QSL card.  That was Andrea Slack K2EZ.  I
saw her at a recent hamfest so we can assume she returned safely from the
VHF Superconference.  QRZ.com can fill in the contact
information.

	73,

	Michael KB1JEY

	> Mark,

	> I hope this is of some help. I met a lady at the VHF-UHF super
conference

	> this spring who had the same problem rovering. She wrote an
application

	> for a tablet PC (6x10 inches very low power draw) to do her logging
while

	> on the move (single operator too). I hand log as well, but FM only
is

	> slow going so I have lots of time. I dont have room or the power

	> (mountain topping on battery) for a full PC and of course no
internet

	> connection. I have no idea if the app controlled the radio's or
did

	> anything else from the wish list, but it was small, low power, easy
to use

	> on the move and generated Cabrillo format logs. I will try to dig up
her

	> QSL card. She go a mention in QST on her long long drive from Maine?

	> Texas.

	> If its better than hand logging and doesnt require a huge laptop
or

	From: K2QO <k2qo at mac.com>

	> To: vhfcontesting <vhfcontesting at contesting.com>;
rvhfg_general

<nf2rs at googlegroups.com>

and

	> interference issues with various chargers and computers including
Lind DC

	> power and piles of ferrite, I've had to abandon computer logging in
the

	> rover for the past 5 years. Manually entering 500 Qs after the
contests

	> totally SUCKS. My ideal setup would be a simple iOS app for the iPad
that

	> would work like RoverLog. Actually, RoverLog is perfect and is what
I use

	> to enter my log after a contest.

	> The apps I've looked at all require 15 button presses to navigate a
single

	> QSO entry and there is no time for that on the road. A super
stripped down

	> RumLogNG could work or a roverized version of HamLog, but nothing
I've

	> tried is close. If I spend a couple hundred hours developing an app
for

	> myself it is guaranteed that someone will make the perfect app that
far

	> surpasses my effort :-)

	> My ideal setup would be:

	> An iPad Pro with a BT or Apple Smart Keyboard.

	> Networking is not required as the front seat is dedicated to 2M an
the

	> rear is 6/222/432.

	> Dupe checking is not a must.

	> Integration with the N3WG Piglet would be great for the back
seat.

	> Band changes would be with a hot key or or dedicated buttons on
screen are

	> fine. Would be nice if the radio followed a screen press to change
bands.

	> Would be nice to have azimuth displayed all the time with the
reverse

	> bearing.

	> Logging sequence needs to be very simple. Call, grid, enter to log,
leave

	> call in the window so touching another band button only requires
another

	> enter to log for passes to new bands.

	> Keeps log in Cabrillo format

	> Uses GPS from iPad to fill in SENT GRID

	> Does anyone have or know of a possible candidate? It sounds soooo
simple