[VHFcontesting] Visit to CO81oa next weekend

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Sun Sep 4 14:11:25 EDT 2016

Hi, I'm planning a visit to CO81oa at approx 4,200 feet above sea level next weekend.  (North of Goldbridge BC.)

The final schedule is still to be determined but I expect to be setup on Sunday Sept 11 at 08:00 local (15:00 UTC).  I may also be able to visit this site on Saturday evening.

I will have 50 MHz, 144 MHz and 222 MHz.  I have visited this site before and made contacts with two stations in the Pacific Northwest on 50 MHz.  I'm also reasonably optimistic of making contacts on 144 MHz (other stations have commented that my signals on 144 MHz are frequently louder via tropo than my 50 MHz signals.)   I will be giving 222 MHz my best shot with 100 watts and the 18 element 21 foot long antenna K7ND provided.   (My prior efforts from CO80 on 222 used 100 watts with a 10 element M2 antenna on 222.)

I expect to use 50.125, 144.200 and 222.1 SSB / CW or 20 kHz higher in case of qrm.

I also expect to be on 50.263 FSK441.  I'm reasonably optimistic of making meteor scatter contacts to the south.

The surrounding terrain provides a "key hole" thru the mountains towards the south from my planned location in CO81oa.

I will not have any internet access or cellular coverage at this location.   I expect to have Internet access at the near by accommodations where I will be spending Friday and Saturday nights.

I've decided to operate as VE7AFZ/R as I want to try and find other sites in CO81 with low horizons to the NW and the East.  (I expect to do this at some point on Saturday.)  I'll also try and operate from CO80 on Saturday as well.   Operations outside of CO81oa will most likely be on 50 MHz only.   At this point I'm uncertain about finding any other sites outside of CO81oa in this area.   I'll be monitoring 50.125 SSB as I drive arround.

If I only end up making contacts from CO81 I'll just submit a check log (:

Hope to work many of you.

73 VE7AFZ/R