[VHFcontesting] request to ask for other stations

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Tue Sep 6 12:54:41 EDT 2016

I like the idea but to be honest I doubt it will ever catch on. The
real contesters are in a hurry to run the bands and rack up
points/multipliers. That's their game. That is why they are on in
the first place.

That said, this is one of the biggest frustrations for me in VHF/UHF
contesting. I am located far from any activity center, in an area
people don't point toward much. All too often the ONE time during a
contest I hear a particular station is while they are making
arrangements to run the bands with another station. They either are
gone so quickly I can't get their attention, or they hear me and say
"Please wait, I will be right back". Unfortunately by the time they
come back, that momentary propagation peak is gone, the station
never to be heard again. They lose a contact and in some cases a
multiplier. I lose a good QSO and some fun.

I consider it to be just the nature of the game. Many of the best
potential QSOs always have and probably always will be lost this way.

I should note that I am not a contester per se, at least on VHF and
up. I will never be able to run up a decent score from here. I am
there to hand out my grid and to have some fun. Mostly the latter.
Many of the stations that are active in contests are rarely or never
on at any other time. I very much enjoy making contacts at the
limits of my station capability, and contests provide an opportunity
to do that. That's why I am there.

It's not like I can call CQ and get anywhere either. I'm so far from
the activity centers that I can't possibly tell what might be a
reasonably clear frequency in those more populated areas, and I'm
going to be weak there even when running a kW.

73,
Paul N1BUG FN55mf