[VHFcontesting] K5QE and the September VHF contest.....

Marshall-K5QE k5qe at k5qe.com
Fri Sep 9 12:33:42 EDT 2016

Hello to all our friends in the VHF / WSJT world from the K5QE contest
team....K5QE will be operating in the ARRL September VHF Contest and
would really appreciate any contacts that we can make via FSK441 or EME
for that "rare" grid.

The contest  begins 1800 UTC Saturday and ends 0300 UTC Monday (Sept
10th - 12th, 2016).  For those of us still on local time, that is 1PM
CDST on Saturday to 10PM CDST Sunday night.  For those stations that are
outside our normal range, I invite you to try to work us on 6M and / or
2M using digital meteor scatter or EME.  If you are EME capable, we will
be operating EME on 2M, 222, and 432.

The new ARRL rules allow Assistance to all stations.  We will be on
PingJockey whenever we are running meteor scatter and will be on the
N0UK EME-1 page whenever we are running EME.  Please look for us there
and coordinate with us.  Please note that NO CONTACT INFORMATION can be
posted.

IF 6M is NOT OPEN to Es, we will be operating meteor scatter on 6M using
FSK441 beginning at 0000Z Sunday  morning(=7:00PM CDST Saturday night)
on a frequency of 50.265MHz.  We will follow normal sequencing--i.e.
when we are westernmost, we we will take First Sequence and when we are
easternmost, we will take Second Sequence.  Please give us a try on 6M
meteor scatter.  We run 1KW output on 6M meteor scatter with fairly
large antennas. Please remember that the contest requires the exchange
of GRIDS not 26 or 27.

On 2M, we will begin FSK441 meteor scatter at 0630Z Sunday(=1:30AM CDST
Sunday night) on a frequency of 144.142MHz and we will follow normal
sequencing.  This is a good chance for smaller stations to get some good
2M DX and a "rare" grid during the contest.  We get one too...a WIN-WIN
situation!!  We run a stacked pair of 17el M2's at 160ft and 1KW output
on 2M FSK. Remember, GRIDS not 26 or 27 for the report.

We will cease meteor scatter operations and resume tropo activities at
1200Z(7:00AM CDST).

On 2M EME, we will start EME operations at 2030Z on Saturday
afternoon(=3:30PM CDST Sat) on 144.142MHz Second Sequence and run EME
until our moonset.  On Sunday afternoon, the moon rises at 2100Z(=4:00PM
CDST).  Again, just check to see if we are on the N0UK EME-1 page for
coordination.

Remember that stations with a single long yagi and QRO may be able to
work us on their rising moon using WSJT / JT65b. Stations in the Central
US and out West get the increased gain from their rising moon, so give
us a try.  In years past, we easily worked stations in CN87 that just
had a single yagi pointed at the horizon, so it can be done.  Stations
to the east of us can be worked on your setting moon.  We run 8 x
2M18XXX with the custom EME elements and 1250W output(1500W output if it
is a rare one.....HI). Pictures of the EME antenna are on my web site.
It is a really FB antenna and we would love to work you in the
contest.......all new multipliers gratefully appreciated.

On 432, we will be looking for EME contacts after our moonrise. We will
operate on 432.080MHz Second Sequence.  The antenna is 16 x 28el M2, all
Horizontal, with 600W output.  If you have a single long yagi and QRO,
we should be able to work on your rising moon if you are located in the
Central or Western US. Please look for us on 432 and work us if you
can.  It will be a new grid for us and a new one for you too.  What a deal!!

The 222 EME station is fully operational as well.  Any station with one
long yagi and QRO power can work us on your rising or setting moon.
Find out when your rising or setting moon occurs and get on with us
about 20-30 min before that.  Use the N0UK EME-1 reflector page.

Please spot us on PingJockey if you see us on meteor scatter or on the
EME-1 page if you work us on EME.  The ability to coordinate on the
Internet is very valuable.  USE IT!!

Thank you in advance for spending some time to work us in the contest.

73 Marshall K5QE, EM31cj
Contest station phone is 409-787-3831 if you want to call

k5qe at k5qe.com
www.k5qe.com
East Texas