[VHFcontesting] Inexpensive 222 Yagi (Re: 222 Sprint

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Tue Sep 27 15:29:16 EDT 2016

Peter,

I would recommend a modern, optimized yagi but if that is out of the
question you might find something older laying around. My first 222
yagi was a CushCraft model A220-11. It was 11 elements on a fairly
short boom (8 feet?). I picked it up with one or two broken elements
for $5 and nursed it back to health using spare parts from a junked
2 meter CushCraft yagi. Later I got a CushCraft 17 element 220
boomer (model 220B) which I extended to nearly twice its original
length. I wouldn't call either an optimum design but I worked a lot
with both of them.

Now I build antennas. I am about to start on a 16 element K1FO for
222 and either 22 oe 25 element for 432.

73,
Paul N1BUG FN55mf