[VHFcontesting] FN55 144 Sprint

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Tue Apr 18 07:10:55 EDT 2017

Wow! Has activity really changed this much in the 10-12 years I was
absent? In the old days with 1.5 kW I was lucky to work a dozen
stations in the Sprint and maybe hear a few more. Last night with 90
watts under what appeared to be poor band conditions I worked 22 and
heard at least that many more that I could not work for various
reasons. Best DX 510 miles. At times the band sounded almost like 20
meters but with weaker signals.

Thanks to the organizers and to everyone for getting on and making
it a fun evening.

I don't yet have digital modes on VHF. I am suffering a critical
shortage of sound cards (have two, need four!) It remains to be seen
whether drift in my old equipment will be a problem for some modes.
I will work on ironing this out eventually. My focus right now is on
getting the station up to full power.

Paul
N1BUG  160m-2m         DXCC Honor Roll
WI2XTC 2200m-630m Experimental license