[VHFcontesting] N6ZE/Rover Spring 2017 Two Meter Sprint Comments

peter h n6ze at aol.com
Tue Apr 18 14:10:32 EDT 2017

For the Sprint 2017 2Meter SPRINT, Pete, N6ZE, and Woodie, KJ6VZC operated from 2 miles North of LAX airportin grid DM03xs (about 200 ft above sea level) and at the 2300 ft level in theSanta Monica Mts in grid DM04qb). A few contacts were made in DM04 spots whilein motion.
AtDM03xs, we used an M-Square 7 element horizontally polarized yagi; at all othertimes, we used a Larsen 2m/70cm short mag-mount whip. The transceiver was aYaesu FT857.

AsN6ZE/Rover, we made 7 QSOs in 4 Grids in .5 hours of operating in grid DM03xs.Best DX for the night was with W6WE (CM95ra) at 268km/166.6mi.

>From gridDM04, we made 23 QSO in 2 grids.

We submitteda final score of 180 points & operated for 2.3 hours.

SSBactivity levels were low as demonstrated in previous years’ SPRINTS also! Therewas a flurry of activity only for the first half hour of the event: quite disappointing.

This wasan unusual SPRINT in that 2/3 of our QSOs made were on FM! This probably wasdue to the fact I'd posted our Rover plans on several local club chat rooms& VHF group sites. Many newer hams participated and this was probably thefirst 'contesting' event that they had ever tried. Hopefully some will returnfor other VHF events.

Pleasesubmit your SPRINT scores at the 3830 Contest Rumor page. This is the ONLY wayto submit an Entry for the SPRINT Program. Every entry, no matter how small thescore, demonstrates use of our valuable amateur radio band allocations! >>>>http://www.3830scores.com/<<<<

bt73,
Pete, N6ZE
WSWSS, PNWVHFS, VCARS,CVARC, ICARC, ARRL-LM

Reminder: The 222 MHz(135 Cm) SPRINT will be held on Tuesday Evening, 25 April: See you then.