[VHFcontesting] Panadaptor IF Buffer boards located

Steve (K1IIG) stephen.tripp at snet.net
Wed Apr 26 08:03:29 EDT 2017

 After contacting a couple of hams in England I found that Kent, WA5VJB has some of the G4HUP Pat buffer boards. He had a complete IF buffer board for my TS-2000 for $25. He also has a bunch of kits. You can reach him direct at WA4VJB at flash.net or go to his web site. He also makes other interesting items including printed circuit log antennas for vhf and uhf.

73's
Steve K1IIG

There are many people now using the SDRPlay RSP1 or RSP2 units for the idea of a panadapter, because it has a wider and better receiver than some of those RTL USB devices.  Note that they also have better front end protection on the RSP units than most.

If you use a SDR receive only device like this, you might want to look into the front end protection devices listed on the blog below, some of which are just off the shelf purchases.  Place it on the receive antenna input of your SDR.
<http://www.kb6nu.com/protect-receiver-inputs/>
<http://www.ad5x.com/images/Articles/FrontEndProt.pdf>
Thanks,
David
W0IM

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 7:07 PM,  <arsn4dd at charter.net> wrote:
> Do any of the seasoned veterans have a suggestion for incorporating a
> freestanding VHF/UHF panadapter into a casual contesting environment?

I do NOT have one, but I believe there is a way of using a (cheap) SDR
for this.  You'd have to keep your transmitted RF out of its little
ears, but ...