[VHFcontesting] Receiver Performance

Dan Evans k9zf at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 4 19:49:52 EST 2017

Would anyone like to discuss receiver performance?

For the last few years my old FT897D has been ailing.  Other than some minor nits, the main problem is the display is dying.  So I figure it may be a good time to start looking for a new rig for Rover / portable contesting.

I've always wanted an Icom 7000.  I remember a lot of talk about the advanced DSP when they first came out.  And now that they have been discontinued the used prices are starting to get pretty reasonable.   However, after reading through the Sherwood receiver test data, I'm not sure this is the way to go.  They rank pretty darn low on the list, which really surprised me.  I've also drooled over the Icom 756 Pro II and Pro III for years, and they were surprising low as well.  ( I used a Icom 746 original at home).
http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

So, I'm guessing most of the data focuses on HF performance...  And mostly based on dynamic range.

What's your opinion of receiver performance in the $1000 or less (new or used) market?

Sounds like a good topic for discussion during the lull between contests :-)

73
Dan

-- K9ZF Vice President, Clark County Amateur Radio Club,Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el The once and future K9ZF /R no budget Rover  ***QRP-l #1269 Check out the Rover Resource Page at:  List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Mailing list!