[VHFcontesting] Thoughts

nosigma at aol.com nosigma at aol.com
Wed Dec 27 20:33:21 EST 2017

Mike

If you have no choice but to have antennas you need to stop and set up there is nothing like practice.

Set it up and tear it down a half dozen times before the contest.  Do it at night a couple times, in snow or rain if possible.   Each time you do make changes that save you seconds or minutes.

Is your LED head lamp good enough?  Can you easily find items dropped in snow or mud?  If not paint them day glow orange or get rid of them.  Eliminate the need for tools.  Use double sided velcro in place of zip ties.  Hitch pins and clips beat fasteners hands down.

My first station set up took almost 90 minutes, now I am down to 20.  I dont rove but drive to mountain top sites and operate from one spot.  Speed is life when lightening gets close and you need to bug out ASAP to a safer spot.

BTW:  I love my FT 991A.

Best of luck.  Practice practice practice.

73
John
KM4KMU

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail