[VHFcontesting] Antenna decisions

nosigma at aol.com nosigma at aol.com
Thu Dec 28 14:19:19 EST 2017

Mike,

You may be on to something with back lobe sensitivity.  I get a quarter of my contacts from the back lobe of my cushcraft 2m beam (sloppy pattern).  146.520 is where my QSY's start so the more initial contacts there the better.  I never get new back lobe contacts on 448 or 223.5 where I have very precise M2's where the gain is essential to making the QSO.  I run FM category where I need a lot more bandwidth to get a readable signal.  I got rid of my omni's last year because they were comparatively unproductive to the sloppy cushcraft beam.

If you do something conventional you will get conventional results. DO IT.  You might be surprised.  I suggest staying with a high F/B ratio for the QSY bands where you have time to get it dialed in.

Good luck, 73
John
KM4KMU

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail