[VHFcontesting] Attenuation from polarity mismatch (Re: C6AFP Six Meter Beacon

nosigma at aol.com nosigma at aol.com
Mon Feb 6 22:11:23 EST 2017

Mike,

Just for fun a few hams in EM9X grids had me do 6M cross pole SSB contacts with them from FM08 in January during the contest.  We were all shocked to make coms so it was time to experiment.  I am FM only with vertical beam elements and no line of sight to them. Flipped the FT991A over to SSB and gave it a try. Every one worked just fine. The FM sounded a bit better in each case. Since we had to diffract over ridges to make it happen I am sure the polarization went all over the map (same thing happens to microwaves in a compact range on edge diffraction testing in HH, VV, HV and VH).

The link below shows just how bad the terrain was between me and N8KUK.  57 miles, no line of sight, diffracting over several (5) mountain ranges and deep into a valley.  The link shows the Google earth map and the terrain profile.

http://s49.photobucket.com/user/nosigma/media/6M%20XPOL%20Diffract%2057mi%20NLOS_zpswyd6hgxp.jpg.html

I LOVE 6M FM, it gets me the evil grids!!!!  (cross pol SSB isnt too bad either).  I may try that strange SSB HH stuff some day that everyone Bragg lobes about, hi hi.

73
John
KM4KMU