[VHFcontesting] modes question, what do we log C4FM or DSTAR as?

Huff David J HuffDavidJ at JohnDeere.com
Fri Feb 17 10:39:01 EST 2017

OK, Apologies to Jim here, but restating his opinion below, this would mean logged as voice.  The argument I was getting from others was that C4FM and DSTAR modulation modes would double the count, one contact using FM simplex, and a second contact using DSTAR or C4FM simplex would be considered a different mode.

I disagreed with this idea, because modulation mode is not the decoder, the human ear is.  I asked because I think clarifying the ARRL field day rules might be a good thing here.
Thank You,

Thanks,
David
W0IM

-----Original Message-----
From: VHFcontesting [mailto:vhfcontesting-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Bart Jahnke
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 7:08 PM
To: Jim Worsham <w4kxy at bellsouth.net>
Cc: vhfcontesting at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] modes question, what do we log C4FM or DSTAR as?

Hi guys,

Here is the answer we used last year for D-Star inquiries where audio goes into a microphone and exits via a speaker:

*D-Star is like any other phone contacts.  But, D-Star contacts in Field Day MUST be Point to Point (aka  peer-to-peer) – NOT THROUGH INTERNET GATEWAYS  and NOT THROUGH REPEATERS (with exception of Satellite contacts).  All contacts must be via RF from station A to station B.*

Hope this helps.

73,

Bart Jahnke, W9JJ

Contest Branch Manager

*ARRL - The national association for Amateur Radio™*

*225 Main St*

*Newington CT 06111*

860-594-0232

w9jj at arrl.org