[VHFcontesting] WSJT versions for January VHF Contest?

Marshall-K5QE k5qe at k5qe.com
Mon Jan 2 22:29:04 EST 2017

Hi Tom and everyone interested in this thread.....I think that it is
clear that MSK has won the war.  Few, if any, will be using FSK441 in
the future.  I would be in favor of moving the "calling frequency" back
to 50.260MHz(or even lower).  I have the following problem:  The farther
we get the meteor operations away from 50.125MHz, the worse the antennas
work.  I would be perfectly happy to move the calling frequency down
even farther.  We have 6M EME around 50.200MHz, so we need to stay away
from that, but we could use anything in the 50.220 to 50.240 range.  I
don't know of anything using those frequencies.  That means that at
least 7 guys will come on saying that their activities occur in that
range....HI.

The big problem here is that once one of the "official calling
frequencies" gets set, it seems almost impossible to move it.  A few old
"die hards" just refuse to move.

Since we can use PingJockey in the contests now, a station can announce
its operating frequencies and others can find you.  We do not need to
call CQ on the "calling frequency" and specify a different QRG where we
are really operating.  That was/is a clumsy method that was only
necessary because we could not announce.  Still, if the die-hards insist
on listening only on the "calling frequency" then we will be back to
using the CQ CQ de K5QE 265 First method.

I would solicit a serious discussion on this.  Can we all agree to move
the "calling frequency" to 50.260MHz(or even lower).  My SWR will thank you.

GL in the contest....

73 Marshall K5QE