[VHFcontesting] Non meteor scatter digi modes in the Jan contest ?

Marshall-K5QE k5qe at k5qe.com
Fri Jan 6 00:48:53 EST 2017

Hello all....the reason that we have assistance allowed in the ARRL VHF
contests is so that you don't have to waste time trying to guess as to
where someone else might be.  Just post yourself on the PingJockey page
or the EME-1 page and people can find you.  OR, you can find an
announcement from someone else and call him.  This allows you to know
the QRG of the other fellow/gal and to be sure that he/she is within
range.  I don't know how many times I have started with someone only to
find that he/she was at 1600 miles.....a lot of bad stuff happens very
late at night....HI.

I will be operating mostly at 50.265MHz, my standard operating
frequency, using MSK144 which is now the standard for meteor work.
However, I may call on 503.280 occasionally.  Since this is the first
contest where most everyone will be operating this new mode, there may
be some confusion until everyone works it out.

The terrestrial JT65a calling frequency is 50.276 as you have said.
However, most of the operators there are HF operators that are using the
software called JT65-HF.  It is NOT compatible with WSJT.  These ops do
not seem to know anything about real weak signal VHF and I have never
been able to make any contest contacts on .276 using JT65a....maybe that
is just my bad luck.

For 2M, I think that the calling frequency is still 144.140, although
there might be another one for as you called it "non-meteor scatter".

I will be operating on 144.142MHz as usual and look forward to working
as many as possible.  I will be on PingJockey whenever we are doing
Meteor Scatter and will be on the EME-1 page when doing EME.

GL to everyone in the contest.....

73 Marshall K5QE