[VHFcontesting] Pat Dyer, WA5IYX--Propagation Researcher-SK

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Fri Jan 13 05:55:54 EST 2017

Deeply saddened to report the passing of VHF-Man, and prominent DX’er Pat Dyer, WA5IYX.

Pat contributed greatly to our understanding of sporadic e-propagation through both his professional research the Office of Telecommunications in Boulder, CO and later through is personal observations (which rivaled or exceeded that of professional full-time scientific efforts.) Pat suffered from long term health problems that made it difficult for him to work outside the home, but continued his research into Es, F2, and TEP from his home.

Many of his e-skip observations were included in a paper co-written by Emil Pocok, W3EP.

Pat was one of the foremost TV and FM broadcast band DX’ers and a very active contributor to the Worldwide TV FM DX Associations’s VHF/UHF Digest. He was also very generous with his time and knowledge for newcomers like myself.

Pat gave true meaning to one of the cornerstones of our hobby, which is to advance the state of the radio art. A citizen-scientist bar none, much of what we know about these mysterious would have remain hidden longer without his efforts. Efforts made not for money, but for the simple joy of discovery.

Abby and I would like to express our deepest condolences to his friends and family. I hope that all the mysteries of the ether are known to Pat now—and that the bands are always open. For the rest of us, the World Above 50 MHz is bit lonelier place today. Rest in peace.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.